Friday, February 21, 2014

WIP Digital Art

Just a little update! I got my gel eyeliner yesterday (wearing it today) but my dress hasn't turned up yet.

Any day now, USPS. Any day now...

Huge blush is huge. And a little uneven...
I also wanted to show a WIP (work-in-progress) digital piece I spent all last night working on. I started it at 11PM EST after scrapping something I started at 4PM that same day and didn't get to the coloring till 4AM. Its still not even done, this is barely halfway! Still lots of coloring and highlighting to do! I'm calling it Candy Girl, due to the super bright hair and accessories as well as the fact she's a sugar skull. I really quite enjoy drawing undercut/half shaven hair styles... I wanted to add a little texture to the side of her head but I may not. Also want to add drips/splatter to make the background a bit more interesting.

For a first, true start to digital art with my Wacom,* I think it's going well! I used Paint Tool SAI, a Japanese program I'm madly in love with. This was drawn entirely using the airbrush using size 9 brush head with stability at a 3 then boosted to 13—not that I can really tell what does/if it makes a particular difference. I colored it with the pencil tool, but used the airbrush at maybe 30 to 60 for the blush. That soft glowiness was created by using the blur tool over it. So pretty ~

I'm very pleased with my work so far but I really do need to work on my lines being cleaner. It's a pain in the butt to draw spirals, if you can't tell from her barrel rolled bangs. It took several tries and two layers for just the hair (one layer had 33% opacity so it was really light for sketching the hair out, another set at 100% for the finalized line art). That swirl thing on her jaw was also a pain. It's just something I draw whenever I do sugar skull art. Dunno why.

So what do you think? I set up a new deviantArt and might add the link here. It's only got two things right now, haha. I'll finish this Monday or so, and get up the gel liner review.

Have a great weekend ~

PS: Is anyone else reminded of the Barbie cameo/logo head thingy? It wasn't intentional, I just wanted to do a sugar skull in profile!

PPS: Expect a big-ish hair post soon. I'm going all blonde with red tips, per Ze Boyfriend's suggestion. I do have a little red to get rid of anyway so why not? I was considering half-and-half hair, where one side is either natural and the other isn't or both are natural colors but different (like black and light brown--I was tired obviously) or both are different, etc. So much work though.

*The first two were digitized pencil+paper (traditional) pieces, only one of which was slightly colored. I hate digitizing largely due to the fact I have to ink my pencils and that can create bulky, ugly lines and use Live Trace in CS2 Illustrator. Plus LiveTrace can create flaws because of how heavy a line is! Ugh!

SPOOKEHDOOM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I'll get back to you as soon as I can ~