Friday, March 1, 2013

Review: NYX Extra Creamy Round Lipstick in 513 Electra

Confession. When I originally started using makeup, I seriously hated lipstick. Just hated the stuff. I only wanted pigmented glosses. I don't specifically remember what changed my mind, I think it was the nude lip trend. I went out and got Viva Glam Gaga II lipstick from MAC, and really loved it. Later something possessed me to find my perfect red lipstick. Well, my perfect reds are blue-based reds and I picked up NYX's Extra Creamy Round Lipstick in Electra.

The tip of the bullet was already worn down when I got it, but it definitely hadn't been used.

The packaging for the Round Lipsticks is really simple. Round, black plastic case with NYX emblazoned on it. At the bottom is a clear "cap" with a red gel that matches the lipstick's color. No, its not actual lipstick! I found this out when it rolled off the bathroom counter and the bottom fell off. On the top of the real cap is the color name, shade number and product amount. The cap gives a satisfying click back onto the base of the case. Unfortunately, mine doesn't. Manufacturing flaw maybe or because the Ulta I go to gets flooded with misbehaving children who open everything (seriously.) but the cap has never come off in my bag despite being noticeably loose. I only know it clicks when closed is because I have Round lipstick in another shade which I might review later.
Drop it once, and that little clear part might come off. Well, now it will come off if I just pull!
These lipsticks come in 124 shades (not 144 as one blogger said), ranging from pink to purple to red and even a black (I really need to buy it, even if it's sheer). There are also some nice "highlight" shades that don't really do much but give lips an iridescence. The numbering on these lipsticks is also kind of strange. Electra is numbered as 513. NYX calls it a true red and its a lovely blue-based red, said to be a dupe of MAC's Russian Red. I truly love the way it looks on me. It works wonderfully. It doesn't apply thickly, going on in a nice thin layer. I know not all of the NYX's Round lipsticks go on this nicely but this is one that does. I like to use clear lip liner and use a mini-concealer brush to apply a light color wash around my lips before I actually apply the lipstick directly from the bullet. Concealer around the lips, powder, blot, and then reapply for perfect red lips! I don't personally find this to be really drying as lipstick can sometimes be, just a tiny bit drying. Its not noticeable like mattes can be.
If you hate lipstick, but want to rock that oh-so-sexy red lip but the orange-reds don't work for you or you don't want to spend a lot of time as well as money looking for your perfect red, try Electra. Cheap but good. Its $4.00 from NYX, and $3.99 from Ulta. If you see a shade you like at nyxcosmetics.com, check to see if Ulta carries the color! Strangely, Ulta doesn't carry the entire line and you might be forced to buy it from NYX directly or another e-store that carries NYX. Very frustrating but these lipsticks are pretty worth it!


Bare lips, just lip balm
One layer of Electra  (I screwed this up soooo badly; this isn't the exact, true-to-life color by the way)
PS: I will update this with lip swatches as soon as I can. Updated! Also, these stain like mad!
Tried to wipe my arm off and saw this while sitting at my computer. How silly of me.
PPS: Interesting note about Russian Red. Its the shellac that was used for the wood of rifles since 1891 for the wonderful Mosin-Nagant, which was used by the Russian for much of World War I & II (I'm a history buff) and the Avtomat Kalashnikova '47 (AK-47), a well-loved assault rifle first developed by Mikhail Kalashnikov. It is really a gorgeous color for wood, especially since I prefer dark and red woodstains (basically, brunettes & reds!). The company that manufactures these weapons, as well as many other commodities in Russia, Izhmash (Izhevsk Machinebuilding Plant), was merged with Izhevsk Mechanical Plant in November of last year as Izhmash had declared bankruptcy in April. Thanks to Dmitry Rogozin, a diplomat with many impressive titles to his name, the two companies were merged under the name Kalashnikov. Putin, the quite intimidating President of Russia, supported the idea. The more you know, right?

***The only reason I know this is because Ze Boyfriend bought an AK, though I don't remember which, 47 or 74. He was overjoyed because it was tested and approved by Mr Kalashnikov himself! He's 93 and still going strong.***

SPOOKEHDOOM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I'll get back to you as soon as I can ~