Let's begin, shall we?
As I said in my previous Gatsby post, my look was inspired by ads of the 1920s and by French actress Polaire. The common practice for women was to smudge kohl across the eyes and have doll-like lips. I showed you my reshaped lips and now will show you my technique. Forewarning: in using black eyeshadow, I applied my foundation after to avoid having black flecks. You can also apply loose powder and sweep it away along with any fallout.
- SKIN79 Super+ Hot Pink BB Cream
- NYX HD Studio Photogenic "Stay Matte But Not Flat" Powder Foundation - SM01 Ivory
- Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner - Zero
- tokidoki Adios Cromatico Eyeshadow Palette - Adios (discontinued; any matte black works)
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow - Black Market (satin; black), Desperation (satin; gray), Unhinged (metallic teal-turquoise)*
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original
- L'Oreal Rouge Pulp Lip Liner - The Sultry Plums (discontinued; pick your lips!)
- Covergirl Lip Perfection Lipstick - 360 Euphoria
- LUSH Lip Scrub - Sugar Lips (you can make your own lip scrub easily, I had already had this though)
- real Techniques Powder Brush
- Smashbox Travel Smudger Brush
- Eyeshadow brush
- Concealer brush
|(Mostly) Clean brows!|
|Eyeliner - pre-smudging|
|Applied more liner, smudged again.|
4. Pick your second shade; popular colors were turquoise and green but as stated earlier, you can do neutrals or whatever color you love. I personally chose to use turquoise, picking Unhinged by Urban Decay which was what I had on hand. I used a flat eyeshadow brush to apply the turquoise in the center without bringing it to the inner corner. If your color is lighter, you can probably bring it from the center to the inner corner. I followed this by blending it into the black, using gray Armor and satiny Black Market by Urban Decay to darken, make the turquoise more subtle and to easily blend the color into the black. With a brighter color on your eyes, making it subtle can work in your favor though it's your choice.
|Unhinged over Adios. Reminds me of a beetle!|
|Black Market with Desperation blended over and into Unhinged.|
|I did a bit more blending, layering more Unhinged over Black Market and Desperation.|
6. Follow your normal routine for your lashes and brows. I applied my beloved FAIRYDROPS Scandal Queen mascara and filled in my brows with a chocolate brown eyeshadow. As you can plainly see, I have really little brows. I call them "elf brows," and am working for a Spock brow look (without the serious black brow look!).
For the lips:
|Applying lip scrub|
|Lips cleaned up after scrub|
|Blotting away some balm|
|Starting with the top lip,|
|Top lip filled|
|Drawing the bottom lip|
|And lip line concealed!|
|Liner blotted, concealer powder.|
Wear your look proudly. A flapper look is the only time your lips and eyes won't be in competition. In The Great Gatsby, Daisy Buchanan had neutral eye makeup and a nude-pink lip. Her friend, Jordan Baker, wore light orange lips and neutral brown makeup. Quite a nice look but I definitely wouldn't wear opaque orange lipstick (it's just a personal preference!). I do, admittedly, have an orange liquid lip tint that actually is quite pretty on!
PS: I know this isn't a perfect recreation of my look, but well... How can you recreate a look perfectly every time? I also have some more looks up my sleeve (and that so frustrating Apocalypse look from Valentine's Day...). Keep reading ~
*To my knowledge, these Urban Decay shades are an exclusive to The Vice palette, which I bought shortly after Christmas 2012.