Monday, February 11, 2013

Oh boy Valentine's Day is coming!

Honestly, I hate Valentine's Day. It was okay when I was in elementary school but now? Its one of those "I hate this month, can we just skip it?" months. I feel this way about a couple of months. I've been with my boyfriend, who I call Ze Boyfriend, for three years now. Normally, we don't do much. We somewhat do little things during the year. Somewhat.

As for Valentine's Day though... I might not even see him. He got in trouble, making a few mistakes but he's human. We're all human, we make mistakes and they suck. Its frustrating, since he had this idea we would have a picnic, maybe see a movie. Okay, here's the first problem: we already saw Mama (I'm a HUGE Guillarmo del Toro fan!). I don't like a lot of movie genres, personally I hate romcoms. Problem two: we'd most likely be having this picnic at a park that we have to walk to. I don't mind the walk, but I do mind the cold. I don't want to walk in the cold in one of my favorite dresses. I don't like walking in the cold because its this weird combination of I'm too hot to have my jacket zipped up but its too cold to take off my jacket. Super unpleasant and no way to spend my Valentine's Day.

This year, we were also going to give gifts. I was going to give him paracord so he could make his own bore snake (he's a gun owner; more specifically, a rifle owner). He was going to give me the Too Faced Sweethearts Perfect Flush Blush ($29.00 @ Sephora & Ulta) from their Boudoir collection. I'd been raving over this blush, because its cute and I can wear it. Heart-shaped, striped with rose, coral and pink, and a baked formula that's wonderful.
(Product Image from Sephora.com)

I was pretty meh about it initially, reading the reviews by my three favorite bloggers and I honestly don't buy, use or wear blush. I find blush tricky. I'm very pale; I don't know my shade in terms of MAC foundation but I'm 0.5 in Urban Decay's Naked Skin Foundation and probably the lightest shades of every single high end brand. The only blush I could wear safely? Illamasqua's Powder Blusher in Katie, "soft candy pink, matt finish." Its a very cool-toned, pale pink. Its like cotton candy/fairy floss colored. The closest dupe I could personally find was NYX Nude Matte Shadow in Birthday Suit (I almost totally wrote "B***h Suit"), called "soft lilac" yet it went on pretty white as a blush. Makes a great eyeshadow however, and its really a very nice pink.

But back to the blush and Valentine's Day. Every blogger has said it would work better for fairer skin tones (DINGDINGDING!!), would make a nice highlight on medium complexions but wouldn't do anything for darker tones. On Sephora, a lot of reviewers are complaining that its too light. I noticed many of them said they were medium or olive. A few of my fair ladies said it didn't work for them as a blush but really, as someone whose fair, do you need a pigmented blush? It can get bad very quickly with pigmented blush on fair skin. I tried a dupe of NARS Orgasm and swatched it, tried a dupe instead. It really doesn't work for me but many say its a universally flattering shade. While I was in Ulta on an unrelated trip, I looked at the Too Faced selection. I liked their No Makeup Makeup palette but wouldn't buy it for myself; its something I'd rather receive as a gift. While I was drooling over the uber-girly packaging (I am by no means uber-girly!), I decided to swatch the Sweethearts blush they had on display. I was suddenly hooked.

I plan on getting this at Sephora very soon and as soon as Valentine's Day rolls around, I'll be tearing it open and wearing it. If you haven't figured it out, Ze Boyfriend won't be buying it. Its his money I'm using though. He doesn't like going to Sephora but he goes with me when we're at the mall. You can't really send a guy into a makeup store and expect him to get the right thing. That's okay. I don't mind going to Sephora, because I'm also grabbing Lady Gaga's FAME Holiday Gift Set, on sale at Sephora for $45 (marked down from $57!) as a very early birthday gift to myself using the last of my Christmas money.

As to Valentine's Day... I hope it goes over okay. I hope I see him. If I don't, I do have a back-up plan. I will sit at home with my Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque, a few movies on Netflix and will finally do a real review for several things.

Yep. What a fun February, huh?

***I will be reviewing the Sweethearts blush, the NYX Nude Matte shadow, and the Queen Helene Mint Julep mask!***

EDIT: I get to see him!!! I get to see him! WHOO! Unfortunately, its been rainy here and we might not actually have our picnic.

SPOOKEHDOOM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I'll get back to you as soon as I can ~