Monday, February 18, 2013

Review: NYX Nude Matte Eyeshadow in Birthday Suit

Ah, NYX. I love NYX. They're cheap. They have stunning quality. I have found products I love, since there are so many! Today, however, is focusing on one. There aren't many reviews or swatches for the Nude Matte Eyeshadows and I really wanted to know whether or not I was getting a good product before I went searching for it at my local Ulta. I finally (FINALLY!) found a review and swatches from VampyVarnish, who I love. Her blog's name and the fact she's just a bag of awesome. You can read her review here: VampyVarnish




Back to the product ~
Ah, simplicity!
NMS01 - Birthday Suit
I love the packaging. Like really, really love it. Its smaller than my Sugarpill eyeshadows, in a nice little shiny black case. A clear window shows the product and has NYX Nude Matte Eyeshadow printed in black lettering. On the back is an ingredients sticker that also tells you the name of the color and gives you the product code (*name here* NMS01-21). These are quite small but the outer packaging is wider/taller than my Urban Decay single eyeshadow.
L to R: Sugarpill Pressed Eyeshadow Love+, NYX Nude Matte Shadow Birthday Suit, Urban Decay Eyeshadow Woodstock
These Nude Matte shadows all have some pretty interesting names. Some actually relate to being nude, others are just funny. The shade I decided to pick up out of the 21 shades was Birthday Suit. It is described by NYX as "soft lilac," but the product color image shows it as being much more pink. In the pan, it also looks very pink. When I used it on my eyes, it was definitely a soft pale pink. This particular shade is very nice to work with. Its soft, smooth, applies well with and without primer but it will kick up a bit of powder with a brush. (For the record, I use Urban Decay's Primer Potion for my eyeshadows.)

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Woodstock vs NYX Nude Matte Shadow Birthday Suit
Suagrpill Pressed Eyeshadow Love+ vs NYX Nude Matte Shadow Birthday Suit
I bought this shade initially as a dupe for Illamasqua's Powder Blusher in Katie, a "soft candy pink, matt finish." Its a cool-toned pink blush and looks lovely on fairer tones. It is something I want very badly but can't get my hands on. Its $26 at Sephora, but its cheaper directly from Illamasqua at $25.71 with the 10% discount they offer you for having a regular account with them. They looked close in color, but Katie is much pinker where as Birthday Suit isn't very pink by comparison. When I put on Birthday Suit on my cheeks, it came out very white. Not a pretty look. It might work for me as a highlighter on my cheeks, but it does look nice as an eyeshadow when sort of layered (layers easily) so I'll start using it for its real purpose. Its nice if you want something that's not in your face. Makes a nice SFW shade.
Left: Over UDPP, Right: Bare Skin (Sorry for the crap lighting!)
If you want to check out the other shades, they retail at Ulta for $4.49 and these are often included in "Buy One, Get One 50% Off." Directly from NYX's website, they're $5.00.

SPOOKEHDOOM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I'll get back to you as soon as I can ~